. Farewell Letter by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
For reasons of health, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Colombia’s illustrious Nobel Laureate for literature, has declared his retirement from public life. He has terminal cancer and sends this letter of farewell to friends and lovers of literature.
If God, for a second, forgot what I have become and granted me a little bit more of life, I would use it to the best of my ability.
I wouldn’t, possibly, say everything that is in my mind, but I would be more thoughtful l of all I say.
I would give merit to things not for what they are worth, but for what they mean to express.
I would sleep little, I would dream more, because I know that for every minute that we close our eyes, we waste 60 seconds of light.
I would walk while others stop; I would awake while others sleep.
If God would give me a little bit more of life, I would dress in a simple manner, I would place myself in front of the sun, leaving not only my body, but my soul naked at its mercy.
To all men, I would say how mistaken they are when they think that they stop falling in love when they grow old, without knowing that they grow old when they stop falling in love.
I would give wings to children, but I would leave it to them to learn how to fly by themselves.
To old people I would say that death doesn’t arrive when they grow old, but with forgetfulness.
I have learned so much with you all, I have learned that everybody wants to live on top of the mountain, without knowing that true happiness is obtained in the journey taken & the form used to reach the top of the hill.
I have learned that when a newborn baby holds, with its little hand, his father’s finger, it has trapped him for the rest of his life.
I have learned that a man has the right and obligation to look down at another man, only when that man needs help to get up from the ground.
Say always what you feel, not what you think. If I knew that today is the last time that that I am going to see you asleep, I would hug you with all my strength and I would pray to the Lord to let me be the guardian angel of your soul.
If I knew that these are the last moments to see you, I would say “I love you.”
There is always tomorrow, and life gives us another opportunity to do things right, but in case I am wrong, and today is all that is left to me, I would love to tell you how much I love you & that I will never forget you.
Tomorrow is never guaranteed to anyone, young or old. Today could be the last time to see your loved ones, which is why you mustn’t wait; do it today, in case tomorrow never arrives. I am sure you will be sorry you wasted the opportunity today to give a smile, a hug, a kiss, and that you were too busy to grant them their last wish.
Keep your loved ones near you; tell them in their ears and to their faces how much you need them and love them. Love them and treat them well; take your time to tell them “I am sorry,” “forgive me, “please,” “thank you,” and all those loving words you know.
Nobody will know you for your secret thought. Ask the Lord for wisdom and strength to express them.
Show your friends and loved ones how important they are to you.
Send this letter to those you love. If you don’t do it today…tomorrow will be like yesterday, and if you never do it, it doesn’t matter either, the moment to do it is now.
For you, with much love,
- RT @gretchenrubin: What foods remind you most of your childhood? 1 hour ago
- RT @ANIMALPlCTURES: https://t.co/kg6qZI2a3S 1 hour ago
- RT @TravelLeisure: T+L editors share the trips on their bucket lists tandl.me/2xtiaPQ https://t.co/1SYRoMniw4 7 hours ago
- RT @FamousWomen: Love this!! https://t.co/pUqKPybhyD 7 hours ago
- RT @catscofffee: Coffee is the answer. https://t.co/q1La6yiKPz 17 hours ago
- RT @TheSchoolOfLife: Irritability is the tendency to get upset for reasons that seem – to other people – to be pretty minor: https://t.co/I… 17 hours ago
- RT @ANIMALPlCTURES: https://t.co/TvY0fZdShl 17 hours ago
- RT @ozlifeadvice: Hard times teach you a lot. That's why you can't regret what you went through, but rather be thankful for all the lessons… 17 hours ago
- RT @alaindebotton: The Creative Itch thebookoflife.org/the-creative-i… 17 hours ago
- RT @ANIMALPlCTURES: https://t.co/4ErfvV3kxE 23 hours ago
- RT @ozlifeadvice: Every thought that disturbs your mind literally eats away your energy. Remember that. Think good thoughts. Feel good. Min… 1 day ago
- RT @tinybuddha: Your dream doesn't have an expiration date. Take a deep breath and try again. https://t.co/ViOb8tgf7F 1 day ago
- RT @ANIMALPlCTURES: https://t.co/tR5EnISXBj 1 day ago
- RT @ANIMALPlCTURES: https://t.co/8mn0a1n6SJ 1 day ago
- RT @CtgenaDeIndias: Make your summer dreams ☀☀ come true 📸 #LiveTheMagic https://t.co/LusDOpez1O 1 day ago
- RT @HeviyaDur: He he... twitter.com/BurhanKuzu/sta… 1 day ago
- RT @Turkey_Pics: Built by the edict of #Ottoman Sultan Abdulhamid II, the Great Synagogue of #Edirne in #Turkey is largest in Europe & 3d l… 1 day ago
- RT @UncoverColombia: 7 Things to Love About Bogotá, Colombia bit.ly/2nMI3sm #travel #Colombia #ttot https://t.co/PfGJyqfJim 1 day ago
- RT @kafatroloji: "Gelen birşey katmaz artık bana, giden de hiçbir şey eksiltmez. Gel yada gelme sevgili; artık hiç farketmez." 1 day ago
- RT @TheDuran_com: A fight that Syria and Russia intend to finish themselves theduran.com/confirmed-cent… 1 day ago